Friday, October 24, 2008

Nancy Drew and the Case of the Missing Peanut Butter

I love peanut butter. I do. I like it on sandwiches, on toast, on crackers, with pretzels...it's so good. About a month ago, my dad came to visit me here in Bham. After we had dinner, he took me to buy some groceries. When we passed the pb aisle, I decided to go ahead and pick up a jar since I was about 1/4 of the way from being done with my current canister of deliciousness.

The next day, I decided I want a pb half sandwich, or a "bend it back," as an old roommate and dear friend of mine refers to them. I went for the peanut butter, and I just couldn't resist opening that brand-new jar. For the next few days, I continued to dip from both jars, even though I knew I should just use the old one until it was gone.

One day, I went to get the newest peanut butter, only to realize that it was nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere. All over the cabinets, the kitchen, even the den and living room. I questioned Dave underneath a hot lamp, but he gave me no useful information. Where was the peanut butter? I demanded to know.

I begrudgingly used the rest of my other peanut butter until it was gone. Then I had none. I wanted a pb sammie sooooo bad, but I had none. And I couldn't justify buying more when I knew there was an almost full jar...somewhere.

Last night I caved. I had just gotten paid, and I rationalized that if the other one turned up, I wouldn't have to buy any for a while.

As I was putting up groceries, I went to move the the bread machine that was on my counter, blocking the bottom cabinet. Let me just say that I looked in these cabinets, though I never completely moved the bread machine. As I went to pick it up, I was met with a sight for sore eyes: My peanut butter had fallen, just lying on the counter behind the bread maker, waiting for me to come and rescue it from the dark prison it had been for at least a week.

Why is it that you only find things like that (well, not necessarily food things, but other personal items) until you've given up on them and decided to find a replacement? Now I have two jars of peanut butter again.

Note: I realized throughout the course of this blog I referred to my "jar" of peanut butter, and that's what everyone calls it, unless you use the Southern "a thing of peanut butter;" however, this pb is in a plastic container. What do you call that? I think I said canister earlier, but that doesn't feel right. Plastic jar? Or does jar always denote being made of glass? Hmmm....

2 comments:

  1. I think "jar" can refer to plastic as well as glass. I'd probably specifically say Mason jar or something if I meant those glass jars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are correct sir.

    ReplyDelete

TELL me about it.