Friday, December 15, 2006

do you like me? blog yes or no

The internet has really revolutionized the way things happen today, and it has made such a huge impact on social netoworking everywhere.

I was in Wal-Mart just the other day, and I saw the ole Tiger Beat and Teen Bop magazines that all the girls used to have when I was in elementary school. They used to be covered with teen sensations and say things like, "Super Dreamy Pics of Hanson Inside This Issue! Free Poster!"

This issue said pretty much the same, only now there was a huge headline proclaiming, "Sweet New MySpace Codes Inside! Jazz Up Your Page!"

I heard MySpace and Facebook mentioned on two primetime television shows.

However, the best thing we have all gotten out of this has to be blogging. I love blogs. I think they are fantastic. Last night, while I was at work, I heard something I thought was funny. These kids (I use the term loosely, they were old enough to drive, probably 17 or so) were all dressed up for some dance or something, wearing sparkly dresses and their hair was all did up, the whole nine.

One girl was talking about a boy to her friend. Here's a brief transcript about what transpired between the pair:

Girl#1: I don't know. Like, do you think he like, likes me, like or whatever?

Girl#2: Oh, my gah, he soooooo does. He was like, totally checking you out or whatever. Chad is like, his like, MySpace friend, and he said he was looking at your profile yesterday.

Girl#1: Shut up! Shut UP! No way! Like, for real?

Girl#2: Straight up. And he like, wrote a blog about you. He totally likes you.

Girl#1: (ecstatic, obviously) AH! Oh my gah, he is SO cute! I like him, like for real. Ah! He is so so cute! I'm gonna put him on my top 8.

Girl#2: Seriously? Wow, that's like, huge. Who are you going to bump off?

Girl#1: Girl, are you kidding? Ashley was totally scamming on him. She left him, like, six comments in a row on his page. Who does she think she is?

Girl#2: Bitch.

And that was about it. I may have embellished a little. But I just thought it was funny how it used to be, writing each other little notes and such across the classroom and asking your friends to go talk to the other person and stuff. When I heard these girls and the word (or words, if you want to get technical) "MySpace," I just knew I had to listen in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TELL me about it.